Saturday, June 23, 2012

Here They Come, There They Go - Salmonflies

Salmonfly madness has descended once again upon the rivers of Montana bringing with it all that is good and not so good in fly fishing.  To correspond with the bugs is our annual Orvis wader hatch.  Still, the Salmonfly hatch is still something to see and definitely something not to miss.  Even if your not a fisherman, it's still impressive seeing thousands of 4 inch long, bugs crawling around on every tree and bush near the water.

Hitting the hatch right can be a tricky proposition (note: how many times did I say to my friends last week - tomorrow will be the day, I just know it).  We all dream of those days when fish (all big of course), blindly crash any bushy dry fly slapped remotely close to them and truth be told those days exist, they are just few and far between.  Sometimes the trout can simply get stuffed from eating nymphs before the hatch actually begins, or for reasons unknown just don't seem motivated to eat something that would equate to 10,000,000 midge larva, crazy right?

Anyways, get out there and enjoy the marvel that is "the hatch" and good luck.  Remember to be nice out there, it can get crowded.  Try a Golden Stone if the Salmonfly doesn't work.  And...     

Don't blink, you might miss it.  But if you do, don't worry, the next hatch is only 365 days away.  I've already cleared my schedule, next year will be the year we all hit it right, I just know it......



I Think I Can, I Think I Can...
Pterodactyl?

Comin' to Get You

Insert Caption Here___________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment