Thursday, March 28, 2013

When the Working Day is Done

There are days that you are thankful you live where you live.  When it's February, below zero, blowing snow, and the sky is a perpetual shade of gray, I might question why I moved to Montana, maybe (not really).  But when spring rolls around, I couldn't be more thankful that I get to call Big Sky Country home. 

The advent of daylight savings time is a big yearly event, and means one thing.  After work fishing. 
 
Around here, the time change happens to coincide with one of our best periods of dry fly fishing, lucky us.  Until high water arrives, I try to set aside a few evenings a week for post work fishing.  A typical schedule of events looks kind of like this:

3:30 - Run out of the office
3:40 - Arrive at the river
3:50 - Wadered up
4:10 - Hooked up

Leopard Bow
It's cool living in a place where you can go from work to holding a trout in your hand in less than 40 minutes.  Believe me, I've timed it, still trying to get it under a half hour.  Maybe if I showed up to work in my waders.  Not sure my employer would like that though.

Busy Beaver
During this month and a half magic period, when the rivers are low and clear and the trout are looking up, I never leave home without a dry fly rod rigged and shoved into the back car.  I call it the quick response unit.  After all, you never know when you're going to have a free hour or two.  


Skwala - It's what's for dinner
Spring is an awesome time for wade fishing.  For one the weather is usually rather pleasant, you're almost always alone, there's no mosquitos, and everyday brings with it another sign of spring. 

The Real Deal
I love fishing weird water this time of year, the water the hoards of boats don't fish.  I spend a lot of time stalking strange side channels, or just walking a lot and watching the spring storms roll over the Bitterroots.   


"Squall-a" Season

1 comment:

  1. I do envy your youth and energy and ability to harness it all as you enjoy the great waters of Montana. Fish On!

    ReplyDelete